I’ve recently decided to start developing on the iPhone platform. I wanted to share here all links and resources I found to get started.
- iPhone Developer Program official page
- Enroll in the ADP (you need a license to develop and submit your apps)
- iPhone Development Quick Start (iPhone Dev Center)
iPhone applications are primarily written in Objective-C. Get more information about this language on Wikipedia.
Basically, Objective-C is an object-oriented programming language which adds Smalltalk-style messaging to the C programming language.
On the excellent Pragmatic Bookshelf, you can find books and screencasts such as :
- Introduction to The Objective-C Programming Language (iPhone OS Reference Library)
- Beginning Mac Programming: Develop with Objective-C and Cocoa by Tim Isted
- Coding in Objective-C 2.0 with Bill Dudney
Introductions, tutorials and examples I found around :
- Learning Objective-C: A Primer (iPhone OS Reference Library)
- source code repository for the 3.0 edition of the iPhone Developer’s Cookbook
- Learn Objective-C (Cocoa Dev Central)
- A Quick Objective-C 2.0 Tutorial (Theocacao)
I also found a lot of excellent resources on iTunes-U:
Books from Amazon
I didn’t read all these books, I’ve just selected books with a good rating.
- Introduction to Cocoa Application Tutorial (Mac OS X Reference Library)
- Learn Quartz (Cocoa Dev Central)
- Learn Cocoa (Cocoa Dev Central)
- Beginner iPhone SDK Hello World Tutorial
- UITableView Hello World
- iPhone SDK Hello World Tutorial
- iPhone coding tutorial: Hello world!
Hello World in video
More tutorials and application examples
- iPhone Development Emergency Guide a guide for competent developers who haven’t written code for the iPhone platform before, and just want to get started right now.
- The Ultimate Toolbox for iPhone Development a great source of resources.
- 43 iPhone Development Resources
- 100 Free Courses & Tutorials for Aspiring iPhone App Developers
- AppsAMuck Here you will find 31 examples to help you get started as an iPhone developer.
- How to Create Your First iPhone Application very informative, neat article.
- Good Practices: iPhone Development
- Servin iPhone and iPod Touch Apps
I hope you find these resources useful. Next articles will deal with iPhone development.